Founded in 1991 by Jerry Seps as the ﬁrst President, along with Buck Cobb (Karly Wines), Jamie Lewis (Fetzer Vineyards), Mike Loykasek (Meeker Vineyard), Joel Peterson (Ravenswood Winery), Donn Reisen (Ridge Vineyards), and Kent Rosenblum (Rosenblum Cellars), ZAP is dedicated to the belief that there is no ﬁner wine than Zinfandel, rivaling the best the world has to offer, and that the Zinfandel grape is unique in the nature and quality of its fruit, drinkable and enjoyable as a young wine, but also possessing the ability to age gracefully and well. ZAP has
remained focused on educating the public about Zinfandel grown in America and bringing together increasing numbers of Zinfandel advocates.
Zinfandel Advocates & Producers is a 501(c)(3) nonproﬁt association which organizes seminars, educational programs, and tastings at wineries and other settings across the United States to explain the uniqueness of the Zinfandel grape. ZAP has over 300 “Producer” members, wineries and growers of Zinfandel, and more than 5,000 “Advocates,” consumers from across the country who are not in the wine business.
The essence of ZAP is its membership. ZAP is all about bringing together Zinfandel enthusiasts or those just beginning to indulge in the splendor of Zinfandel. Members come from all walks of life— educators, students, professionals, wine drinkers, wine collectors, and those who just love Zinfandel! ZAP is one of the only organizations that has established and provided funding for education and research to study the history, genetics and propagation of a wine varietal to ensure its future. ZAP and its members not only enjoy growing and drinking Zinfandel, but they also value its character and its heritage.
ZAP members are united in their appreciation of Zinfandel and the desire to learn more about it.
Zinfandel wine – rightfully establishing it among the premier varietals of the world. and Zinfandel is now recognized and respected internationally as a world-class red wine that tells an inspiring American story.
10 Things to Know About ZAP
- The Association of Zinfandel Advocates and Producers (ZAP) was founded in 1991 as an educational 501(c)(3) non-profit
- Our founders set an ambitious course for Zinfandel to become recognized as America’s heritage grape
- We are a membership-based organization with a mission that advances knowledge and appreciation for American Zinfandel and its unique place in our culture and history
- ZAP is the only single varietal organization of its type, with a membership community that includes wineries, consumers, and businesses
- For the past 26 years, Zinfandel Experience in San Francisco has attracted hundreds of wineries, and tens of thousands of enthusiasts to celebrate the heritage, quality, and versatility of Zinfandel
- Our partnership with UC Davis on the Heritage Vineyard Project is creating the most in-depth research on a single varietal in history
- ZAP has traveled the globe to share our love of Zinfandel with the world
- ZAP’s Board of Directors represent each of California’s distinct Zinfandel growing regions
- National Zinfandel Day has reached #1 trending on Twitter
- Zinfandel: Stories of America’s Heritage Grape is an ambitious grant-funded project that will preserve 100 acres of old vine Zinfandel, increase propagation, and raise awareness of California’s prized specialty crop
P.O. Box 1487
Rough and Ready, CA 95975